Friday, July 18, 2008

PSFK conference in SFO

Yesterday I went to my first conference as a creative strategist with Ci. Oooooh moving up! PSFK hosts creative idea conferences in cities around the world and yesterday's took place at an old military base near the water in San Fransisco. Many of the speakers focussed on technology enabling community building and one particular speaker from Apple - Chris Riley - spoke of three highly influential people - Stewart Brand, Alice Waters and Paul Hawken. I just had to thank him at the end of the day. Another highlight was Max Schor from GOOD Magazine. Very refreshing, humbling and thought provoking. He asked the audience as he was getting started - "How many people want to make things better?" Not a single person did not raise their hand. The room was certainly filled with optimistic bright creative (and nerdy) bodies, minds and souls.

The best surprise for me was the fact that the Long Now Foundation was just next door and I got to see the prototypes for the 10 000 year clock! I was in heaven. I had done quite a bit of research on Stewart Brand for my thesis. Some call him the smartest man in America. Look him up! The Foundation exists for the sole and brave purpose of encouraging us all to adopt a long term view. We're talking centuries and millenniums. What a breath of fresh air considering the conference was all about trends and what they mean and where we're going.

More in line with the 'short view', I couldn't get over how many people were talking about Twitter! This is something I have not really been interested in adopting - maybe because I find the name a bit irritating. Hmmmm.

Some of the recurring themes I noticed during the day - take risks, do the right thing the right way and the business model will follow, don't be afraid to fail, be considerate, listen to people, experiment, play, and of course - collaborate! Look outside your own discipline and geography for inspiration. Oh yes, and have fun!!!

Speaking of fun, here are some photos from the after party!
Thanks to Orange Exposure for the great photos.


Serge, Sarah and Rachel


Piers Fawkes and Max Schor


What a great day! Looking forward to more of this!

No comments: